We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave! As a matter of fact, most of the country has been in a heat wave. Since it just hit CT today, the Governor has activated cooling centers around the state so people who don't have air conditioning can get out of the heat and stay cool. You can check out 211ct.org for cooling centers near you. Make sure if you are outside whether by choice or for work, follow these tips:
- Drink more water than usual.....Drink AT LEAST two to four cups(8 oz each) of water every hour while working or exercising outside.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink more fluids
- Avoid alcohol or liquids containing high amounts of sugar
- Remind others to drink enough water
- Check on those most at-risk several times a day
- Pets that cannot be brought indoors should be provided with ready access to water and shade to keep them cool