In preparation for Winter Storm Bobby, Eversource has shared some important tips.
Eversource Storm Tips
Here are some other preparations that you can make before a storm hits.
- Build an Emergency Kit with essential items to meet the unique needs of your family. To help build your kit, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a detailed checklist available.
- Eversource also has a storm safety checklist available to help you prepare and stay safe before, during and after a storm.
- Stock up on non-perishables, such as canned goods and pet food, and make sure you have adequate medical supplies and prescriptions for yourself and your pets.
- Pick up some paper goods: paper plates, paper towels, plastic ware. Turn the temperature controls on your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting to keep food cold in the event of a power outage.
- Fill several large containers with water for drinking and also fill the bath tub so you have water to flush your toilet. Keep flashlights, batteries, candles and matches on hand and make sure they are available throughout the house.
- Have a battery-powered radio available.
- Make sure you have fresh batteries that are the correct size for the flashlights and radio.
- Be sure there’s a first aid kit in the house.
- Fill your car with gasoline. Your car can also be a good place to get warm or charge your cell phone. Just make sure you keep it well ventilated and don’t fall asleep while it is running.
- Be prepared to cook outside. You can use charcoal or propane grills or even a camping cook stove if the power goes out. Never bring grills inside.
- Have extra gasoline on hand if you own an electric generator.
- Make a list of emergency phone numbers, or program them into your cell phone. Handy numbers to have include the Red Cross, fire, police and a family doctor.