(Photo: Hartford HealthCare)
Here is Renee's interview with Erica Moura, LCSW, Assessment Center Manager for the Purple Pod in Hartford Hospital's Emergency Unit.
The Purple Light Project is a project that is intended to bring attention and support to our emergency psychiatric patients in Hartford Hospital’s Emergency Department. Purple is for “the purple pod” which is the psychiatric section of the ER. Light is to represent our light always being on for those suffering from mental health crisis. Our vulnerable patients could benefit from basic needs e.g. warm winter clothing, medicine, food, hygiene supplies, blankets, taxi/ bus vouchers, etc. 100% of the funds raised goes to patients. Our purpose in creating the Purple Light Project was not only to raise money for this population but also to bring awareness and community support for mental health needs.
Mental health needs are stigmatizing and far too often, in the shadows. We don’t think there is anyone who does not know someone right now who isn’t struggling in 2020. In addition to creating the Purple Light Project, we’ve organized a staff educational retreat to fuel our front line clinicians, docs and nurses with current material on how to best treat mental health patients. Supporting our staff is one of the best ways we can provide excellent care for our patients.
Checks can be mailed to: Hartford Hospital, Department of Philanthropy, 80 Seymour Street, PO Box 5037, Hartford, CT 06102, please reference the Purple Light Project in the memo section.
More ways to help:
- Donate gently used clothing (no stains/ holes) or shoes. Can drop off at the Institute of Living Assessment Center or arrange for a pickup. Call 860-545-7200.
- Drop off new travel size shampoos or soaps, toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, deodorant, combs, travel size hand sanitizer, pads, tampons, sunscreen, or masks! Call 860-545-7200.
- Have a business you love? Ask them to donate a gift card to be used at our online silent auction running from October 19- October 26th. Contact Erica Moura @ 860-545-7312.
- Purchase a Purple Light Project bracelet for $1. Call 860-545-7200 for yours!
- Participate in our online auction from October 19-26th. There are over 50 featured local businesses offering gift cards, goods or services! Click here!